Current Students


Our students come from many different cultures from all corners of the world. We create a very friendly, family like atmosphere for them to integrate and make new friends.

Local students are more familiar with the daily life in Silicon Valley per their length of living here. They can be great personal resources for the new comers to learn the life skills a foreign student needs to master.

Our atmosphere in and out of the classrooms, during activities and field trips is very supportive of developing this relationship.

Applicants from Overseas

International Students Overseas are the people who apply from their countries. They apply for the school in order to request the F-1 visa and study in the US.

international students transfers

These students are already in the US under a student visa and want to transfer from other schools. After their initial application, they need to follow the legal guidelines of transfer process. This information can be learned by contacting the California College of Communications Admissions Office.

Local Students

These are people who are already living in the United States of America on a non-student visa and want to become a student at California College of Communications. They need to contact the school’s Admissions Office and follow the legal procedure to obtain a student visa.

Academic Calendar





1st Quarter 1st Quarter week Off March 28 to April 1

January 3

January 31

February 28

January 28

February 25

March 25

2nd Quarter 2nd Quarter Week Off June 27 to July 1

April 4

May 2

May 31

April 29

May 27

June 24

3rd Quarter 3rd Quarter Week Off September 26 to September 30

July 6

August 1

August 29

July 29

August 26

September 23

4th Quarter 4th Quarter Week Off December 24 to January 1, 2023

October 3

October 31

November 28

October 28

November 25

December 23





1st Quarter 1st Quarter Week Off March 27 to March 31

January 3

January 30

February 27

January 27

February 24

March 24

2nd Quarter 2nd Quarter Week Off June 26 to June 30

April 3

May 1

May 30

April 28

May 26

June 23

3rd Quarter 3rd Quarter Week Off September 25 to September 29

July 5

July 31

August 28

July 28

August 25

September 22

4th Quarter4th Quarter Week Off December 25 to January 3, 2024

October 2

October 30

November 27

October 27

November 22

December 22

School is Closed



May 30
Memorial Day

May 29
Memorial Day

July 4
Independence Day - Monday

July 4
Independence Day - Tuesday

September 5
Labor Day

September 4
Labor Day

November 24 and 25

November 23 and 24

“30% of employers seek or give value to a job candidate's international study experience.”
QS Global Employer Survey Report 2011

How To Maintain Your Student Status

There are many statutory rules and school policies that affect international students. It’s your responsibility to get familiar with the government regulations and school policies!


  • 1

  • Keep a valid passport at all times

  • 2

  • Sustain a full course-load of study

  • 3

  • Report any changes to the school and Immigration such as: address, email, telephone number, status, dependents, etc.

  • 4

  • Be aware of your I-20 expiration date and ask for extension when necessary.

  • 5

  • Keep proof of your immigration status with you at all times, even if you are traveling within the United States

  • 6

  • The Director of Admissions works for CalCC and is here to help you understand the immigration regulations, so please feel free to ask him/her should you have any immigration-related questions.

  • 7

  • Keep your documents valid. Talk to the Director of Admissions if you see that your documents will expire in the near future.

F-1 Student Visa

  • 1

  • As an international student and to keep your F-1 visa status you are required to attend minimum 18 hours of classes per week. All students must attend at least 80% of their classes and keep a Grade Point Average of minimum 2.0. If students do not correct their grades and attendance to the minimum required level they will be dropped from the school and they may lose their international student status as a result of this.

  • 2

  • If you move, you must update your present local address. You need to notify CalCC within 10 days of any change of local address.

  • 3

  • Notify any changes that may impact your F-1 student status (i.e. course load, change of status, marriage)

  • 4

  • Make sure I-20 is always valid. Notify one month prior to the expiration date. You will need to submit official bank verification to cover the costs of education program extension.

  • 5

  • Apply for a program extension before the expiration date on your I-20, if you need to continue studying in the ESL program.

  • 6

  • See the International Students Advisor for approval if you have to miss several classes due to illness or an emergency, or if you plan to withdraw from the ESL program.

  • 7

  • Inform the Dean of Education before registering concurrently at another institution.

  • 8

  • Before the end of your last quarter in attendance, inform the International Students Advisor of any intent to transfer to another institution.

  • 9

  • No off-campus employment is allowed for F-1 students on an I-20 issued in the ESL program. You can work on campus for up to 20 hours per week during the term of your study.

  • 10

  • All F-1 students have a 60-day grace period to remain in the US after they complete the ESL program.

  • 11

  • Read and comply with the instructions stated on page 2 of the Form I-20.

F-2 and Other Dependent Visa Categories

  • 1

  • Your status depends on the primary (F-1) visa holder. If the F-1 student is not in status or has left the U.S., you lose your legal immigration status.

  • 2

  • F-2's are not allowed to work on or off campus.

  • 3

  • F-2 dependents can enroll part-time in a program of study, but cannot take courses toward a degree. Full-time enrollment is a violation of F-2 status.

  • 4

  • Contact an International Students Advisor if you want to be a full-time student and would like to change your status to F-1.


Conversation Club

Conversation Club

CalCC invites local business people or government officials once a month to have a conversation hour with the international students. After the short presentation, students may ask questions to these guests. This kind of activity will enable the students to practice their English language skills with people other than their teachers and classmates.

Potluck Parties

Potluck Parties

CalCC holds a Potluck Party once per session where students bring a dish from their home country to share with classmates and teachers. These parties also follow certain themes depending on the month.

CalCC Social Media

CalCC Social Media

Many students are on social media and it is a good way to connect with your classmates and meet new friends.

Join CalCC’s online communities by adding us as a friend, following or liking us.

  • Internet Access

    Internet Access

    For all students, it is available through WiFi Internet:
    Login: CalCC_StudentG2
    Password: iNternational!

    Also, in the Student Computer Stations you can access internet through any computer.

    Educational Field Trips

    Educational Field Trips

    Occasionally CalCC's faculty or staff organizes field trips to local museums, libraries and government buildings, parks, etc. We annually visit schools such as San Jose City Colle, UC Santa Cruz Extension, Stanford University, etc.

    Touristic Short Trips

    Touristic Short Trips

    Students are invited to go for one-day trip to San Francisco, Santa Cruz or Monterey. We also visit companies in the Silicon Valley such as Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, etc.



    Traditionally every year students go to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe or Sunset Beach for camping and stay 1-3 days in outdoor tents.

    Holidays Celebration parties

    Holidays Celebration parties

    Special parties with lunch or dinner and lots of fun are organized on Valentine’s Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

    Travel Reminders

    When traveling outside the United States, request and obtain signature on the 2nd page of your current I-20 from DSO/PDSO at least 2 weeks prior to your travel.

    Documents required by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the first Port of Entry when you re-enter the United States:

    • F Visa
    • Valid passport with F visa

    • F Visa
    • Signed Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Status”

    • F Visa
    • Proof of financial support

    • F Visa
    • Your contact information, including a 24-hour emergency phone number, if necessary

    It is important that students hand-carry (instead of packing in checked luggage) the above documents.

    You also should consider bringing the following:

    • Evidence of acceptance to your school, like a recent tuition payment receipt or acceptance letter

    • Proof of paying the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee

    • Official Transcripts and current schedule for verification as an F-1 at CalCC

    • Each dependent must have his or her own I-20, even if traveling with the primary visa holder

    Official Transcripts and current schedule for verification as an F-1 at CalCC

    Extending your I-20

    Your CalCC I-20 Form indicates that the normal length of study at CalCC is 3 to 12 months. If your I-20 is going to expire soon, and if you need more time to finish your program because of academic or medical reasons you may apply for a Program Extension within the last 30 days before the expiration date.

    Please ask for the I-20 extension to Director of Admissions. You will also need to submit a current bank statement with your request. If you are granted a program extension, you will be issued a new I-20 Form, reflecting the additional time you need to complete your course of study.

    When you complete your studies in the U.S. and return to your home country, you should keep your I-20s and ID’s from all the schools you have attended, in your permanent record. You may need to use them as supporting documents for a future change of status.

    Visa Renewal

    Your F-1 visa is the document issued when you were approved by the United States Embassy or Consulate to study in the United States. Check to make sure you have a multiple entry visa. It will be indicated with an "M" for multiple entries. We often have students concerned about their visa expiration date. Even if your visa expires, you are still in F-1 status and can still study in the United States as long as your I-20, passport, and I-94 are valid. You only have to renew an expired visa if you leave and reenter the United States.


    International students are only permitted to work up to 20 hours per week on campus. There are limited employment opportunities on campus and most jobs require proficiency in English.

    Off-campus employment for F-1 students is a violation of student visa regulations and will result in the student becoming out of status.

    Change of Status to F-1

    Nonimmigrant in the United States (with J, H, B1/B2, R visas) may apply for a change of status to student (F1).

    • 1

    • They might be interested in studying English before they leave the United States.

    • 2

    • Studying English can give them extra advantage to get better jobs in their countries.

    • 3

    • They may also continue studying for higher degrees in the United States after they learn English.

    • 4

    • CalCC can help the prospective student with the application for the program. We highly reccomend hiring a lawyer for guidance to file the change of status request on USCIS.

    • 5

    • Currently the USCIS is taking around 9 to 12 months to complete a Change of Status request.

    change status


    A student may pursue a grievance if he or she believes that a member of the College community has violated his or her rights. This Student Grievance Procedure applies to alleged discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, or disability as well as problems arising in the relationship between a student and the College that are not governed by other specific grievance procedures. Upon request from any student, the Office of the Dean of Education will provide guidance about the appropriate system for redress of a particular complaint.

    read more